Monday, February 16, 2015

Gifts I give myself

Clean sheets
A day off
Quiet
Bare countertops
Vacuuming under the furniture
Going to bed an hour early
Looking at the sky
Mending my clothes
Polishing my shoes
Oiling my skin
Cooking for myself
A conversation with a friend
A pot of tea
Solo vacations
Dining out alone
Long walks
Singing
Tulips
Ironing everything in the closet
Window-shopping when I don't want to spend, and listing the items I'm most interested in for when I have money and inclination but no creativity or wisdom: personal collection development so the purchase order process can be cranked out later
Doing something scary
Learning something new
Practicing a skill 
Deciding not to be angry
Deciding not to be afraid
Giving not what is expected, but what gives me joy to give

Belief in myself. Not in what I will do at some future date, or my character, but in the choices I have already made, and in my wisdom to give myself good and perfect gifts, that are not merely shiny in the package but solidly pleasant. The most important gift I can give myself is the faith that the choices I have made have been good for me, the correct choices, that where I am at this moment is true, and where I am supposed to be. Whether someone else is jealous and wants my life is not what makes my life valuable - it's what makes another person unhappy. Belief in myself is the detachment from others' jealousy, both as a misguided sign that I matter and as a sin I must somehow repay. And the past pieces I look at with embarrassment and chagrin, were steps to get here, to this moment of being in the right place. I know myself. I believe in my own path.

http://www.rulit.me/books/out-of-africa-read-69333-51.html 

"The tight place, the dark pit in which I am now lying, of what bird is it the talon?" 



No comments:

Post a Comment